At Bradford District Care NHS Foundation Trust, we work closely with those people who are caring for loved ones or family members, who are receiving services from our Trust.
Carers are involved in our work in a number of ways, from helping to shape our services and getting involved in key Trust groups, to getting advice and support. Read our promise to carers.
Who is a carer?
A carer is someone who provides unpaid support to a family member, partner, or friend who is ill, frail, disabled or has mental health or substance misuse problems. Carers come from all walks of life, cultures and ages. Many feel that they are doing what anyone else would do in the same situation but often without thinking of getting support for themselves.
Our Carers Hubs
Working closely with carers, we have developed Carers Hubs to support people in their caring role. The Hubs are located at Horton Park Health Centre in Bradford, Lynfield Mount Hospital, Bradford, and Dyneley House, Skipton, and give carers the chance to meet other carers, get free advice and support, get involved in activities and take time out for themselves.
Whatever your age or caring situation, you can come along to any of the Carers Hubs:
- Horton Park Health Centre, Level 2, 99 Horton Park Avenue, Bradford, BD7 3EG. Monday to Thursday 10.00am – 4.00pm and Friday 10.00am – 3.00pm.
- Lynfield Mount Hospital, Heights Lane, Bradford, BD9 6DP. Tuesdays 11.00am – 3.00pm.
- Dyneley House Medical Centre, Newmarket Street, Skipton, BD23 2HZ . Wednesday 12.30pm – 3.00pm.
Together with partner organisations across the district including Carers Resource, Making Space and Barnardo’s we offer carers a range of health and wellbeing activities as well as regular talks delivered by experts on carer issues such as carers’ allowances and payments, and practical advice to help you look after your own health so you can continue to care. The Hub also gives carers of all ages a place to relax and recharge.
- Carer Hub activity sheet – Lynfield Mount Hospital – December 2018
- Carer Hub activity sheet – Horton Park – December 2018
- Carer Pop Up Cafe activity sheet – Dyneley House, Skipton – December 2018
For further information about the Hubs please call 01274 251 112 or email email@example.com.
Triangle of Care
The Trust is pleased to have signed up to the Triangle of Care. This is a great opportunity for us to showcase the good work we are doing with our carers and be nationally recognised by being awarded a Triangle of Care kite mark. The Triangle of Care is a self-assessment process based on the principle that care is made better by good working relationships and communication between the service user, professionals and carers.
We were recently awarded a gold star for our successful completion of phase one of the scheme, which was to assess the needs of people caring for people who use our hospital services, and to pledge our commitment to improve the service that we provide to carers. This will be followed by phase two, which is an assessment of community mental health services, and phase three, where community physical health services will be assessed.
For further information contact the patient experience and involvement team on 01274 228387 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dementia Friendly services – details of support services that might be useful for carers that are also available at the Carers Hub, that cover Bradford East, Bradford South, Bradford West, Keighley and Shipley.
- NHS Choices – a range of useful information and advice for carers.
- News release – about the opening of the Carers Hub
- Practical guide to healthy caring – provides information and advice to carers about staying healthy. This booklet is particular relevant for carers 65 years or older and those new to caring.
- Practical guide to healthy ageing – provides information and advice to help improve the health and fitness of people of any age, but is particularly relevant for people 70 years or older.
- RallyRound – a simple free online website that allows friends and families to help you share day to day activities.