We are a highly specialist group of learning disability nurses and health care support workers providing high quality, evidenced-based nursing support to children and young people aged five to 18 in the Craven area who have a learning disability, and their families.
This support can be on a short or long term basis as required, working in the home, school, respite and other community settings. The team accepts referrals from family, school, GP, or other professional involved. We are an NHS service commissioned by the local clinical commissioning group.
What we do
- Initial needs assessments
- Continence assessments and toilet training advice
- Care planning
- Health promotion activities
- Individual behaviour support plans
- Support for children to maximise their independence and skills development
- Sleep advice
- Support and guidance on day-to-day care for the child including structure and routines
- Desensitisation work around medical procedures and immunisations
- Support around transition to adult services – health action plan development and health passport
- A link to liaison service within hospital setting – help to reduce anxiety levels and preparation before admission, appointments, investigations
- Ensure optimum health is achieved, through access to health provision advising on reasonable adjustments (annual health checks) and health promotion activities, either team led or support for the family
- Signposting and referral to other agencies
And other additional bespoke work as required.
How to get in touch
Tel No: 01274 221203
If you contact this number you can leave a message or an electronic message is sent to the Children’s Learning Disability Team. There is a member of staff on duty daily.
Email address: ChildrensLearningDisabilities@bdct.nhs.uk