Bradford District Care NHS Foundation Trust will be supporting people in the community to improve their oral health by taking part in the Big Bradford Brushathon over the summer holidays.
The Community Dental service at the Care Trust has organised events during the summer holidays aimed at engaging and informing local communities about the importance of a healthy mouth. Both children and adults can bring along their old toothbrush and take part in the Big Bradford Brushathon challenge. They can swap their old toothbrush and receive a free toothbrush, toothpaste and oral health advice from the team.
The team is inviting parents and children to visit a range of community settings across Bradford, Airedale and Wharfedale during July and August, to find out more about caring for their own and their children’s teeth.
The Big Bradford Brushathon campaign aims to highlight key messages for a healthy mouth:
- Brushing your teeth last thing at night and on at least one other occasion with a fluoride toothpaste.
- Children under three years should use only a smear of fluoride toothpaste
- Children over three years should use a pea-size amount of fluoride toothpaste.
- Spit out after brushing and do not rinse.
The event’s main supporter, Bradford-based interpreting and translation service Enable2, alongside City of Bradford Metropolitan District Council and Colgate Palmolive are supporting the oral health campaign being rolled out across the district to benefit local people in the community.
Anne-Marie Dorrington, Dental Service Manager at Bradford District Care NHS Foundation Trust, said: “We are very excited to be working in partnership with local social enterprise Enable2, children’s centres and community venues across the district during the summer holidays.
“The Brushathon is reaching out to vulnerable people within the community who may find it more difficult to engage with mainstream dental health services. This is a great opportunity for the Community Dental service to raise awareness of good oral health with local people to find out why daily toothbrushing is essential.”
To find out more about what you can do to look after your smile, visit the team on
- Thursday 26 July, 12:30pm-2:30pm, Better Start Bradford Street Party, Burlington Avenue, (on the green field), Bradford, BD3 7DY;
- Saturday 28 July, 1.00pm-4.00pm, Henry Fun Day, Myra Shay, 489 Barkerend Road, Bradford, BD3 8QX;
- Wednesday 1 August, 10.00am-11.30am, Mini Music Makers, Shipley Library, 2 Wellcroft, Shipley, BD18 3QH;
- Wednesday 1 August, 1.00pm-5.00pm, The Big Play Event, Parkside Park, Parkside Road, West Bowling, BD5 8PG;
- Thursday 2 August, 11.00am-3.00pm, Teddy Bears Picnic, Cliffe Castle, Spring Garden Lane, Keighley, BD20 6LH;
- Thursday 9 August, 12.30pm-2.30pm, Better Start Bradford Street Party, Kyffin Place, (on the green field), Bradford, BD4 8NB;
- Monday 20 August, 11.00am-1.00pm, Better Start Bradford Street Party, Springmill Street recreation ground, Bradford, BD5 7EE
- Thursday 23 August, 3.30pm-6.00pm, Better Start Bradford Eid Party Event, Attock Park, Rufford Street, Bradford, BD3 8AX.
For more information on the wide range of oral health improvement available through the Trust visit: www.bdct.nhs.uk/services/oral-health-promotion