We want to make sure our services are culturally sensitive and appropriate. We also want our staff to work in an environment that is free from discrimination, harassment and unequal treatment.
A priority is to make sure that our equality agenda is fully in line with equality law.
Documents which are key to this are:
- Equality and Diversity workforce strategy 2018 – 2020
- Annual report for equality – January 2018
- Equality Objectives 2016–2020 Headline Summary Report
- Equality Objectives 2016–2020
- Board EDS Update May 2013
- Equality Delivery System Summary Grades for Bradford District Care Trust, December 2014
- Equality Delivery System Summary Grades 2013
- Bradford and Airedale NHS Equality Objectives
- Equality Diversity and Human Rights Strategy 2010–2015
- Equality and Diversity annual report.
These documents make sure we:
- Eliminate unlawful discrimination, harassment and victimisation and other conduct prohibited by the Equality Act 2010;
- Advance equality of opportunity between people from different groups; and
- Foster good relations between people from different groups.
- There are nine ‘protected characteristics’ within the Equality Act these are: age, disability, gender reassignment, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation and marriage and civil partnerships.
Gender pay gap
On 8 March 2018 Bradford District Care NHS Foundation Trust published its first gender pay gap and bonus gender pay gap onto the Government gender pay gap web pages. The Equality Act 2017 Regulations require all organisations that employ more than 250 staff to publish their gender pay gap by 31 March 2018. A summary of all of the results published so far can be found on the Government’s gender pay gap web pages.
In 2018 the Trust had a gender pay gap of 3.02 percent and a bonus gender pay gap of 37.8 percent. Please see our full Board report for more information about the Trust’s gender pay gaps and the actions that we will be taking as a result. We have also created an infographic which summarises the findings of the Board report.
On 31 March 2019 a further gender pay gap and bonus gender pay gap was published on the Government gender pay gap web pages. The Trust’s gender pay gap in 2019 had increased to 7.70 percent and the bonus gender pay gap had reduced to 19.22 percent. Please see the full board report and infographic.
Workforce Race Equality Standard
In April 2015 the NHS launched the Workforce Race Equality Standard. A requirement of that standard is to publish a set of data which can be compared nationally with other NHS organisations. The documents below contain the data for our Trust and the BME Diversity in Employment Strategy.
- WRES Infographic 2019
- WRES 2019 Data and Actions
- Workforce Race Equality Standard Equality Analysis
- Equality and Diversity Workforce Strategy 2018 – 2020 Approved
- EDI 2018 Action Plan Approved
- BDCT BME Employment Strategy 2014–2016
- Workforce Race Equality Report 2015
- WRES Reporting Template 2016
- WRES Action Plan 2016–17
- WRES Trust Board Update October 2017
- WRES Trust Board Update October 2017 appendix
If you would like the full report please contact email@example.com
Workforce Disability Equality Standard
In August 2018 the NHS launched the Workforce Disability Equality Standard. A requirement of that standard is to publish a set of data which can compare experiences and representation of NHS Disabled Staff with other NHS organisations. The first set of data was collected in August 2019 and is included below along with the actions plans made to respond to the information over the next year. The data and actions were discussed and approved at the September 2019 Trust Board, full papers for that meeting can be found here.
- WDES Infographic 2019
- Workforce Disability Standard Equality Analysis 2019
- WDES Results and Action Plan
Equality Delivery System 2 grading process
The panels provide staff, voluntary, community and faith sector partners and their service users the opportunity to comment on Bradford District Care NHS Foundation Trust’s equality performance using the EDS as a framework. They are then able to agree our grades for this work.
Grades are available here:
- Equality and Diversity Grades Summary 2013
- Equality and Diversity Grades Summary 2014
- Equality Objectives Review 2016
- Equality Delivery System performance grades 2018
If you would like a copy of the draft grades please contact the equality team on 01274 228282.
Bradford District Care NHS Foundation Trust (BDCFT) is working in partnership with Bradford Teaching Hospitals Foundation Trust, Airedale NHS Foundation Trust and NHS Bradford, Airedale and Leeds.
The BDCFT Trust Board signed up to the equality delivery system (EDS) in June 2011. The Trust Boards Service Governance Committee has six monthly updates on progress made in implementing the EDS across the organisation. In addition regular updates and decisions are taken and discussed at the Trust’s Executive Management Team chaired by the Chief Executive.
Click on the titles below to find out more.
The Bradford and Airedale NHS equality group
This group includes representatives from:
- Age Concern Bradford and Airedale
- Black Health Forum
- Bradford Action for Refugees
- Bradford and Airedale Mental Health Advocacy Project
- Bradford District Women’s Forum
- Bradford District Care NHS Foundation Trust Black and Minority Ethnic Staff Network
- Bradford District Care NHS Foundation Trust Disabled Staff Network
- Bradford District Care NHS Foundation Trust Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Trans Staff Network
- Bradford Metropolitan District Council
- Bradford Muslim Women’s Council
- Bradford LINK
- Bradford Older People’s Alliance
- Bradford Teaching Hospitals Black and Minority Ethnic Staff Network
- Bradford Teaching Hospitals Disabled Staff Network
- Bradford Teaching Hospitals Lesbian, Gay and Bisexual Staff Network
- Carers’ Resource
- Council for Mosques
- Equity Partnership
- Health Partnership Project
- Healthier Lives
- Just West Yorkshire
- Mind in Bradford
- NHS Bradford and Airedale Black and Minority Ethnic Staff Network
- NHS Bradford and Airedale Staff Disability Network
- NHS Bradford and Airedale Lesbian, Gay and Bisexual Staff Network
- Sharing Voices
- Strategic Disability Partnership
- Thornbury Centre
- University of Bradford’s Centre for Diversity & Inclusion
- VCS Assembly Equalities Forum
- VCS Assembly Health & Wellbeing Forum
The group is:
- Agreeing priority equality objectives and then monitoring progress in meeting them
- Using the new Equality Delivery System (EDS) to measure the local NHS against four key goals:
- Better health outcomes for all
- Improved patient access and experience
- Empowered, engaged and well supported staff
- Inclusive leadership at all levels
How well are we doing with equality and diversity?
Members of the Bradford and Airedale NHS Equality Group have formed EDS assessment panels to consider and moderate the equality and diversity performance of each NHS trust using the Equality Delivery System framework.
The evidence for each trust provides detailed information about how well each NHS trust is doing in:
- Better health outcomes for all,
- Improved patient access and experience,
- Empowered, engaged and well supported staff
- Inclusive leadership at all levels
The summary sheets below show grading by the members of our Equality Group:
The group has discussed and added to summaries of health inequalities as they affect Equality Act protected groups. These bring together research evidence, statistical data and the experience of local people and are helping us to prioritise equality objectives.
These health inequality summaries are available here:
Public sector equality duty
The details of our work to meet our equality objectives and improve our performance using the EDS assessment framework will all be published here and shows how we are eliminating unlawful discrimination and advancing equality of opportunity.
The Bradford and Airedale NHS Equality Group’s work of reaching consensus on these priorities will contribute towards our legal duty to foster good relations between those people from a protected group and those who are not and between different protected groups.
Statement of community involvement
This information has been discussed and approved by the Bradford and Airedale NHS Equality Group on 19th December 2011.
Additional information will be approved at subsequent meetings of the same group.